Tuesday, February 7, 2012

In writing fiction, I've heard that asking "what if" questions can help the writer to enhance the story.
I wondered if an experiment like that might help to enhance my relationship with God. Think about it. I'm scurrying through my day trying to accomplish 26 hours of tasks in the 24 that are available. The phone rings with bad news. My time gets interrupted and I'm frustrated by any number of happenings. I turn to chocolate for comfort and discover my stretchie jeans don't stretch enough.
What if I started my day with the Lord, in His Word, and asked Him to guide me and do those tasks He would have me do today? What if I trusted Him no matter the circumstances, knowing He has my best interest at heart? What if I looked at interruptions as opportunities He has set up? What if I turn to God in prayer and find solace in Him?
Psalm 34:8-9 says "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing."
Remember your mother before you with a fork full of some new food poised near your mouth. She would say: "Just taste it. How will you know if you like it, if you don't try it?" This verse from Psalms is suggesting a similar notion. It's almost a dare - try the Lord and see for yourself. He is good. Nothing will happen today that can steal the solace and safety found in God. If you're His child, you are to honor Him - stand in awe of Him. In other words, acknowledge that He is God and you are not. If we have this type of relationship with Him, we are supplied with all we need and even some things we want.
Entrusting God with the "what ifs" will help my relationship with Him grow. From God's perspective, there are no "what ifs" because He knows all. Seems like the best way to enhance the story of my life.

No comments: