Monday, July 3, 2017

Visual Object Lesson

In the book of Joshua, God instructs the people to build a memorial for the precise purpose of reflecting on what He had done for them. This would provide a visual object lesson for their children.

"When the whole nation had finished crossing the Jordan, the Lord said to Joshua, 'Choose twelve men from among the people, one from each tribe, and tell them to take up twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan from right where the priests stood and to carry them over with you and put them down at the place where you stay tonight. ...to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, "What do these stones mean?" tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever.'" Joshua 4:1-3, 6-7

These stones would not only serve as a memorial but as a prompt for the children to inquire about. When the children asked, can't you just imagine the older generation's eyes widening and lighting up? I can just hear them say, "Now that's a story. Sit down right here and let me tell you about it."


I've seen that glint in my grandparent's eyes as well as my parents'. I've heard that excitement in their tones as they related something God had done in their lives or through them.

Now we don't tend to erect stones or monuments to milestones in our faith journey. Maybe we should because we should be prompted to tell the next generation about the things God has done in our lives.

This scripture tends to conjure a question in my mind - Do people around me see enough evidence of God to inquire about it? Am I shining His light? Am I that salt Jesus spoke of, creating a thirst for the things of God?

Please comment what comes to your mind when reading this scripture. How does it apply to us today?

No comments: