Tuesday, July 4, 2017

One Generation Away

"After that whole generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation grew up, who knew neither the Lord nor what he had done for Israel." Judges 2:10

I have shared this verse before and how it cuts me to the core. The whole generation spoken of here is the generation of Joshua. Yes, the same guy who spoke about his house serving the Lord, even if the people didn't.

This is what it looks like when a generation isn't intentional about passing on a Godly legacy.

At this time they were surely still going through the motions of going to the temple with their sacrifices. But obviously there was no teaching about what this meant and Who they were to honor.

The next verse in Judges says that they did evil in the sight of the Lord. Here begins a struggle against the outside influences that God said to stay away from. The people would turn to the gods of nations around them.

Unfortunately, I do see this today. Just because I attend church and bring my family along doesn't mean we're truly understanding and worshiping the one and only God. And there's so much in the world to distract and become those little "g" gods to us.

God knew how difficult this total devotion would be and that He had to help these people understand that leading in His ways and only worshiping Him was the only way to go. In the verses we have already studied we see God giving them and us ways to keep this Godly legacy alive. There's a reason He encouraged them and us to talk about it often and wear reminders on our bodies.


As I read and study verses like this one, I realize the responsibility lies with me. I can't control anyone else, not even those I'm trying to have influence over. However, I can determine like Joshua did to serve the Lord and Him only and be intentional about teaching those around me about why they must do the same.

When I find myself becoming lazy or flippant about this Christian heritage, I return to a verse like this and consider the consequences - always just one generation away.

What thoughts cross your mind as you read Judges 2:10? Please share.




No comments: