Friday, June 30, 2017

Surround Them

Our passage from yesterday continues and becomes even more pointed and specific.

"These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them upon your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates." Deut 6:5-9

The people did inherit the land, but there were more words written emphasizing the obedience needed and the commands to heed. They were not only to take God's words to their own hearts but to surround their offspring with God's commandments.

I have to wonder if some of God's people back then were like me. God knows that I am often so scattered and busy that I need to be surrounded by His Word to be reminded of what is important and priority. Verses from the Bible that seem to speak to me in my situation are posted on cards on a small magnetic board beside me at my desk. I have tried to make it a habit to always start any work I do at my desk with Bible reading and study.

I believe that the Deuteronomy passage above was God being very specific. He wanted the Israelites and us to take this responsibility seriously and to make plans on how to pass along His instructions. Notice this transmission says nothing about taking our family to church and letting them learn everything in Sunday school. No, these actions are done in our own homes.

Though I believe that church attendance is a must, this isn't the primary place where our children will gain this Godly legacy. We have to understand that it is our responsibility to teach of God and His ways. And this should become as natural as talking about Godly things wherever we find ourselves.


So in the car on the way home from school we ask, "Where did you see God today?" In the morning we pray with our family, and we end the evening at bedtime in the say way. We post Bible verses on the bathroom mirror and challenge everyone to memorize it.

This passage of Deuteronomy is so specific because I think God was saying that He and His Word should be naturally mixed into our lives.

How do you surround yourself with the commands of God?

Do you discuss the things of God often?

Think of how you might incorporate God and His Word into your life and with your family.

Please share your thoughts in the comments.

No comments: