Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Sunday is for Worship at Church

The first strategy I have personally employed to follow God's instructions and pass along a Christian heritage is to obey the fourth commandment.

God commanded us to "remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy." God "blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy." Exodus 20:8-11

God set this day apart for rest and focus upon Him. In another verse in the Bible we are told not to "forsake the gathering of the saints." Hebrews 10:25


Today the way we honor this commandment is by setting aside specific times to attend church. These are times we worship corporately as well as times we receive instruction and encouragement for living our Christian lives.

Our time is in such demand. We are so busy with our lives that we must schedule the activities we want to accomplish. In doing so, our priorities become evident; that which we value most gets our time.

I know some people argue that they can worship any place. And I know that is true. I can certainly worship God while out in His creation. But God specifically made the Sabbath holy. That means it is set apart and different than other days. For me this implies that I have to make sure I am keeping it holy - set aside and different than my other days.

Let's continue our discussion of the Sabbath tomorrow.

In the meantime, do you attend church regularly? How do you keep the Sabbath holy?

No comments: