Monday, July 17, 2017

The G in Legacy

Today you get a double whammy. One should never assume when she is away teaching at a conference that the internet will work, allowing her to post to her blog. Sorry about that.

So this is the post you should have received on Friday.

The G in Legacy is for get actively involved.

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16

Here's where I think we're encouraged to be intentional and active in passing along a Christian heritage.

These two little verses pack a punch. There's a warning about how we live out this testimony. Also notice the implication of choosing the wise way to live. Wisdom comes from God, and He will lead you in the right way to live out your legacy. Then you encounter the push to get active in this - make the most of every opportunity.

I can't help but be reminded of the verses from the Old Testament we have already studied about keeping God and His ways in front of our children. He encouraged them to keep Him in front of their children upon every opportunity.

For me to be actively involved in passing along this Godly legacy, I had to make it a matter of habitual thought. If I am to take advantage of every opportunity to impress God and His commands on those I have influence upon, I have to train myself in His wisdom and look for every teachable moment or modeling I can do.

How do you get actively involved in passing along your Christian heritage? Are you taking advantage of all opportunities?

Notice that last part of the verse: "because the days are evil." I would prefer for my children and those around me to follow a Godly path instead of the very easy and attractive way of evil. But this is what we're fighting against every day.




No comments: