Monday, April 9, 2012

What I Like About Writing Fiction
Confession: I am tired today. I heard that hearty amen in agreement. My exhaustion today can be blamed on Alex and four unnamed people who work in forensics and detective work. Perplexed and wondering where I spend my evenings? You just checked my profile again thinking you noticed I was a pastor's wife. The people I mentioned were in dreams I awoke from very early. Alex is a character in a manuscript I have been trying to rework. The unnamed people - who knows, probably a new book in the works.
Personally, I have gotten many ideas for my writing while in bed. My debut novella, THE BLESSING SEER, came to me within moments of laying my head on the pillow one night. I had to sit up and write down the outline which came all at once. This is why you will find paper and pen by my bed. After some thought, I decided that when I go to bed, I finally stop my everyday busyness and let my mind ponder things.
So here's the real confession: This is what I like about writing fiction. I love it when a little idea or a character roams around my head, and the creative juices start flowing. I always loved playing make-believe when I was young. Now I just write it down and embellish.
I especially enjoy when I reread a recently written passage and find myself moved by the words. I pinch myself and say: "Wow, Did I write that?" Then, I feel there is a chance that a reader might just get the same feeling. That motivates me.
When I'm in the writing mode, I can lose track of time and not notice what's going on around me. There have been several nights my little desk lamp was the last one glowing because my hubby and daughter have long been in bed leaving me to my scattered pages and three-ring notebooks.
Thank You, God for giving me the nudges in the night that become stories to share about Your goodness and provision.
So, what about my writing friends out there? What do you like about writing fiction?

By the way, if you recently read about the new Christian Romantic Times online magazine, due to unforseeable circumstances the address has been changed to http://www.lovelychristiantromance.com/.

3 comments:

Deborah M said...

Hi Paula,
I met you on the ACFW course and I've signed up as a follower of your blog and I'm following you on facebook. I hope you do the same for me.
Deborah Malone
www.deborahsbutterflyjourney.blogspot.com
www.sleuthsandsuspects.blospot.com
www.facebook.com/malonedeborah

Brooksie said...

Paula,
I'm right there with you. God made some of us to be dreamers. Over the years I've actually struggled with it. Now I see it as a gift or a talent from God. Keep up the good work girlfriend!

Jody said...

This is a lovely post, and rings so true with me as well. I find I'm more creative as I'm waking up in the morning. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

www.jodysdevotionaljournal.blogspot.com