Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Worship

These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng.  Psalm 42:4

      The procession referred to in Psalm 42:4 was a parade of heroes after a victory.  It is interesting that they processed to the house of God to offer thanks and praise to the true source of victory.  Weekly worship might be similar for us – are we not in a battle all week?  We need to come triumphantly as we have a hero or a Savior to praise for our preservation. 
     Growing up in a Christian home, I began going to the house of God before I could walk.  At the age of eleven I accepted Christ as my personal Savior at a revival.  After that I remember leading out in worship with enthusiasm and feeling a communion with God.
     Jesus warned the Pharisees in Mark 7 that they had become caught up in their traditional rules.  Their focus was misplaced; their hearts were not devoted to God.  Unfortunately I often fall into this ritualistic attitude.  I say all the “right” words and act all the “right” ways, but my heart is far from the ideal relationship.
     Sunday worship can easily become a spectator sport that is not even close to the worship God desires and expects.  When I think of all God has done throughout my life, not to mention just today, I should be anxious for worship.  I should run through those sanctuary doors as the Psalmist says, leading the procession, praising and pouring out thanksgivings to God.
     Let’s decide to not go through the motions.  Let’s worship God our Savior.  What can you do today to show God how much He is worth to you?

Lord, help me to worship You in Spirit and in truth,
not just go through the motions.  Worship is for You,
but I will always reap the benefits if I focus on You.


No comments: