Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rush, rush, rush
That seems to be the theme of my life. I'm always rushing to church for a meeting. Or, I'm rushing to make a dent in all of the dirty dishes and laundry. Or, I'm rushing to fit in some writing time between my responsibilities as Mom and homeschool teacher. I allow myself to become so rushed that I push God out. Satan will use whatever he can to pull me away or distract me from the Lord. The easiest wedge he can drive for me is this rushed feeling. He is good at making me feel inadequate so that I press harder to become superwoman. But, guess what? God didn't call me to be superwoman.
The remedy for rush, rush, rush is "Be still and know that I am God." This isn't another activity to fit in but an attitude. When I feel harried by the demands of life, I need to stop and pray for God to still my spirit. This doesn't cause the laundry to disappear or the meetings to be cancelled, but I am certainly in a better frame of mind to tackle all of it.
The last portion of Psalm 46:10 is not often quoted, but it states God will be exalted among the nations and in the earth. This shows me the importance of pausing to acknowledge Him. He will be praised and honored, but will I slow down long enough to join in the chorus? If I can't stop long enough to acknowledge God, my priorities are definitely in need of review.
"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth."
Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

BK said...

Oye. Boy does this sound familiar. I guess Satan doesn't just use that tactic on me! It's so easy to get frustrated and overwhelmed if you don't let God have control of it.