Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Do You Believe in Coincidence?

How about you? Do you believe there is such a thing as coincidence? Are there occurrences that happen just by chance?

Just today I told someone that I didn't believe in coincidence. The God I serve is much more purposeful than that. I do believe that I can thwart plans God has for me by not following in His ways.

Consider these verses from Psalm 139:
"You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways."
"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
And in Proverbs it says:
"In all ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Do these verses sound like we serve a "by chance" kind of God? I don't think so. He knew you before you were known. Hard to fathom, right? But, God created you and already had plans for you before you were that proverbial twinkle in your parent's eyes.

Now, don't misconstrue the meaning of the Proverb verse. Just by acknowledging or truly following His guidance doesn't mean that everything turns out hunky dory. Making your paths straight doesn't mean all will be positive and well. This means that you will follow His plan, the one He created you for. However, this doesn't mean that you won't have to suffer some trials along the path. Sometimes that is part of the plan.

I'll give you an example. When my father required heart surgery for major blockages, I questioned why this needed to happen. I mean, my dad is an active person who is always serving someone else and even teaching Sunday School. He came through the surgery great and had a really swift recovery. So, what was gained? Faith, testimony, and thankfulness.

Though hard to explain - Do you understand how your life can be further grounded in faith when it has been tested? How I have seen this in my life and in the lives of others. People like my dad are what we call walking testimonies to the grace of God.

Our experiences tend to not only give us a platform to witness to others but the right. A person with a blockage in his heart needn't come to me. I haven't been through that personally. But, my dad has the right as someone who has been there.

This is the reason I don't believe in coincidences. I've said before that I don't feel that God wastes any of our experiences. There is a purpose.

What about you? Do you believe in coincidence?

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I don't believe in coincidences either. I also just recently realized that I don't believe in the word random either, because God is not random. I will keep using this word and allow my kids I work with to call me random, but I have decided to never use this word when it comes to God's plan for me. All this to say I do not believe in coincidences or random things happening.

Brooksie said...

Coincidences are man's way of bypassing God's Sovereignty. And I think some Christians use it as a way of dismissing messages/signs from God. That way they can stay in there comfort zone.

Patti Shene said...

I don't believe in coincidence either. I think all things happen for a reason Sometimes I don't figure out what God's purpose is, but I firmly believe He always has one in all the experiences He gives to us.