Saturday, January 18, 2014

Winnie the Pooh Day

January 18th is Winnie the Pooh Day because it is A.A. Milne's birthday. Milne created Winnie the Pooh and all of his friends at the Hundred Acre Wood.

Winnie the Pooh seemed to have such a happy-go-lucky attitude as well as an innocence that just attracted me as a kid and still does today. His books and his movies saw him skipping through the woods humming or singing a tune.

When there was trouble, Pooh would search for Christopher Robbin or his other animal friends. Who can forget bouncy bouncy Tigger? Or little Piglet? Or poor ol' Eeyore? Then there was Rabbit and Roo and the Owl.

When I was a young girl, I had a big stuffed Pooh Bear. I slept with him right beside me in my little twin bed every night. He got me through a lot of storms and anything that spooked my night.

There is something to be said about such timeless characters as those from Milne's stories. The morals always seemed to center on being there for your friends to help them out in times of need and appreciating those friends.

I was glad that silly ol' bear was still around for my daughter. It was comforting knowing that when she watched a show containing Winnie and his friends there was no need to fear that she would learn bad manners or hear foul language.

To have your writing creations have such a lasting and positive legacy is commendable. I'm so glad A.A. Milne didn't keep his writings about the Hundred Acre Wood to himself and the children he shared them with. I'm glad he shared his stories with the world.

Take a moment and remember your experience with Winnie the Pooh and his stories. Bet you hear one of that silly ol' bear's songs ringing in your head right now!

Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh, silly willy nilly ol' bear.

I'm just a little black rain cloud, hovering under the honey tree. I'm just a little black rain cloud. Pay no attention to me. Mmmm.........

No comments: