Monday, June 3, 2013

Cancer Survivors Day

June 2nd was officially Cancer Survivors Day, but I celebrate it everyday because of my mama.

My mother has had two bouts with breast cancer, two mastectomies, and one round of chemotherapy. I am so thankful she is a survivor.

But, she is so much more than just a survivor. She is constantly in motion volunteering through Mission of Hope (a ministry that serves people in need in Appalachia), at church, and any of a number of other projects she gets into. She is a reminder to me that since you are still here on earth, you should serve others through Christ.

I remember when she was going through the first breast cancer, her motto was: "To live is Christ; to die is gain." This is to mean - if I'm alive, then I show Christ. If I die, then I gain seeing Him face-to-face. Not a bad motto to live by.

Thanks Mom for living your faith out loud no matter what. I hope some of that rubbed off on me.


Here's my mom, Nana, with my daughter. Thank You, God, for giving me a faithful Christian Mom.

Are there cancer survivors in your family or among your friends?  Don't forget to thank God for them. And, if you want to share their names, leave a comment.

2 comments:

Karla Akins said...

Today my sister-in-law is going to her first chemo treatment. My Dad is a cancer survivor. Thanks for this post!

Anonymous said...

Your mom is an awesome lady and I love her spirit. My Papaw survived two bouts of cancer. He passed away back in 2011. It wasn't from cancer. Had survived to the ripe old age of 91. If he had lived another month, he would have been 92. It was a fighter too. And he faithfully served as church deacon for over 40 years.
-Brooke