Monday, January 21, 2013

Super Heroes

Yesterday after church we ended up in our usual spot for lunch - the Mexican restaurant. We actually had some friends to join us. Included were four little ones - two girls and two boys.

One of the boys had a watch. I asked: "What's that on your watch?" He answered emphatically: "It's the Avengers!"

One of the girls has had a Spiderman party and has shoes of the same sort.

Among the children in the church choirs and at school, I've seen all kinds of super heroes represented.

I can remember watching Wonder Woman when I was growing up. Sometimes I would even pretend to be her, having her powers.

Super Heroes are strong, and they protect and save people in distress.

Now, where are we going with this, Paula? I'm glad you asked. As I read my One Year Bible passage this morning, my eyes zeroed in on a particular passage.

"In your strength I can crush an army; with my God I can scale any wall." Psalm 18:29

My mind immediately went to the slogan - "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound ..."

Christians don't have to pretend to be super heroes. We are super heroes. Now, we have to be plugged into the right power source because our super human strength doesn't come from some rock or bite from a spider. Our strength and ability to overcome obstacles comes from God.

Don't worry - I'm not planning on donning tights and a cape. But, I do need to clothe myself with righteousness and power-up with God's Word as I stay in constant contact with homebase through prayer.

No comments: