Thursday, January 3, 2013

A NEW YEAR - NEW POSSIBILITIES


With the start of this new year, I've read many blogs and articles on making plans and setting goals. Of course some are realistic in knowing that making resolutions doesn't mean those promises will be kept.

Often that new diet fizzles before the weekend. And, the promise to exercise can be put off indefinitely for one reason or another.

What about those lofty goals in your career? Can those be realized?

Scoot closer to your computer screen because I think I've found the answer to keeping all those resolutions. Here it is straight from Proverbs 16:1-3:

"Mortals make elaborate plans, but God has the last word. Humans are satisfied with whatever looks good; God probes for what is good. Put God in charge of your work, then what you've planned will take place."

Hold it! You mean I can draw up a beautiful chart listing my plans, but it could be for nothing? I'm afraid so. Read the verse again. We can plan and plan, but God has the last word because His plan is the master plan.

Did you catch the next two statements? We humans are so often satisfied with something that looks good, but God may have the best awaiting us.

So, how do we make plans that align with God's will and make sure we get the best, not just settling for good?

We must put God in charge of our work. How do we do that? We start this new year by spending time with Him in His Word and in prayer. We give Him control. Let Him lead. We surrender our agenda to Him. As we do this, His will for us becomes ours.

I know, a different perspective on the whole new year's resolution thing. But, for me, it's all about emphasis. Instead of putting the emphasis on setting those lofty goals, I need to emphasize my relationship with the One who is in control of all things.

In light of what I've learned from this verse in Proverbs, I suppose my one word resolution should be: surrender. I'll surrender to His will and put Him in charge so that what He and I have planned will take place.

No comments: