Thursday, September 20, 2012

Call to Worship


Since a vacancy was left when my friend, Suzi, went to Heaven, I have stepped into the role of Young Muscians Director. This is our church's childrens choir that is grades two through five.

Last night we practiced for our debut for this year. We will be singing the call to worship on Sunday morning with the youth praise team. Before we sang, we discussed what it meant to sing the call to worship and what that is.

Have you ever considered this? That song you sing at the beginning of worship is exactly what the term implies - a call to worship. It is a time to focus on God. A time to prepare to worship and praise Him as is due Him. Admit it - sometimes we use this time to visit or check out who is in attendance and who is not. We may even shuffle around to get comfortable in our seat or read through the bulletin to see what's going on this week.

Can I tell you what we told the children about this call to worship time? We told them that this is a time to get everyone's attention and draw it to God. We explained that this is a very important duty. The song we are singing is entitled, "Here For You." This song talks about the fact that we are here for God. It asks for His presence and that our attempts of worshipping would please Him.

When was the last time that you truly heeded the call to worship? Why not try it this Sunday? You might be surprised at how differently your worship hour will go.

Start with an attitude like the Psalmist in Psalm 63:1-5:
"O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for You.
My soul thirsts for You; my whole body longs for You in this parched and weary land where there is no water.
I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory.
Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise You!
I will praise You as long as I live, lifting up my hands to You in prayer.
You satisfy me more than the richest feast, I will praise You with songs of joy."

If you get a chance, you can watch us on live-streaming sing our call to worship. www.buffalotrailbaptist.org
Our service begins at 10:15.

No comments: