Monday, September 2, 2013

What Kind of Crowd Do You Run With?

This week in my One Year Bible as well as in my Sunday School study, Job has been the focal topic. I have often studied about this man's life from the perspective of suffering and God's presence in the midst. But, another thought came to my mind as I read through this story once again - the topic of friends.

When poor Job lost everything, three friends showed up. At first they just sat on the ash heap with him. But, when they started to speak their opinions, everything went sour. They didn't support him at all. They accused him of having done evil and prompted him to repent. These friends wouldn't listen when Job tried to explain that he had done nothing evil.

Have you been there? Have you experienced a trial only to have your friends be the first ones to blame or run away?

I believe we can learn a couple of lessons from Job's friends.

First, be careful when picking your friends. Your close friends should be Christians who are striving to be a godly influence in your life. They should build you up, not tear you down. They should want the best for you and exhibit a godly wisdom. They should never make you doubt God but point you to Him.

Second, be the kind of friend you want. In other words, you work to gain God's wisdom, so you can offer godly advice. Always think the best of your friends. Build them up. Never distract them from focusing on God.

Examine your crowd. Are you "running" with the right friends? Are you being a true Christian friend?

I remember my mamaw saying: "The trouble you meet is directly related to the company you keep." Food for thought.

Thank You, God for Christian friends. Help me be a good one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mamaw sounded like a wise lady. I think I have been blessed some wonderful godly firends, especially you.
Love ya
Brooke

Karla Akins said...

I love your Mamaw's quote. May I make a visual infograph with it?

Paula Mowery said...

Thanks Brooke. You are definitely a great godly friend to me. Don't know what I would do without your friendship.

Karla, thanks for stopping by. I would love to see the infograph for my mamaw's quote.