Tuesday, July 7, 2015

What you can't see may help you!

Recently my Bible reading has been about some of the escapades of Elisha, the prophet.

Second Kings the sixth chapter begins yet another story of Elisha and his servant. It seems the king of Aram's plans were always known to the king of Israel. So much so that he asks his own officers who was on the side of the king of Israel, letting him in on the plans of the Arameans.

"'None of us, my lord the king,' said one of his officers, 'but Elisha, the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom.'"

Don't you love it? The wording here just makes me chuckle. God allowed Elisha to know the most secretive plans of the king of Aram. The king orders his men to hunt down Elisha so he can capture him. The prophet is located and the king sends horses, chariots, and a strong force there by night to surround the city.

"When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots surrounded the city. 'Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?' the servant asked. 'Don't be afraid,' the prophet answered. 'Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.' And Elisha prayed, 'Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.' Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha."

Elisha's servant was so filled with fear that he was blinded to the truth. God had his own army there for his prophet.

I can't criticize Elisha's servant. I've been there so often, letting myself be overwhelmed by my fears. Feeling defeat before I've even remembered that I have God on my side.

Makes me thinks of a verse in First John the fourth chapter which says that we should remember that the One who is in us is greater than the one who is in the world.

Just because I can't see how my awful circumstance is going to work out, doesn't mean that God isn't working all around me. God is greater than anything, and He's on my side. Pretty good odds!

Are you in a tight spot and feeling defeated? Ask God to give you just a glimpse to bolster your faith. He may not show you chariots of fire, but He may grant you a peace that only God could supply.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this blog. It hit me between my eyes. As Christians, we should never feel defeated. Good job girlfriend.

Unknown said...

This is a blessing. Our family is going through some tough times. It's good to be reminded God has us surrounded by his angels.