Monday, February 16, 2015

A Lesson from our Forefathers

On this President's Day, I noticed some interesting quotes as I perused Facebook. One particularly caught my eye and I just had to share it. It had a picture of George Washington and a quote which mentioned the need for God and His Word.

That immediately reminded me of a verse in 2 Chronicles 7:14 which says, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and will heal their land."

I try not to dwell on the way our country has made wrong things seem right and right things seem wrong. But, these are the things that make up the wicked ways that are spoken of in the verse. It is not right to legislate things that are in blatant contrast to what the Word of God says. This is sin. There is no amount of sugar-coating it.

God's Word is not out of date. There was no date stamped on it as to when it would become irrelevant. In this world it is so easy to be desensitized to God's way. His way isn't the popular one. But, Jesus warned about this. Being a Christian, a follower of Christ, is not popular. We are viewed as closed-minded and not tolerant.

Oh, that we could return to those principles that our forefathers established this country upon. Guess what? It wasn't their popular opinion. They truly believed "In God We Trust" and "one nation under God."

True, I am only one person, but I can follow the call from God in 2 Chronicles. I can humble myself in prayer and seek God's face. I can turn from any sins I've committed, especially those in which I've just closed my eyes to what happens around me. God hears His children. This verse promises that.

I can't turn a whole nation around by myself but I can have an affect on my family and those I have influence upon. I can pray in humility and seek God's face and His Word for my life. I can be His witness to a sick world, lost in wicked ways.

Take it from George Washington, we need God and His Word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, It's sad the way our country is going. And we wonder why our children are killing each other. Why there's no common decency any more. - Brooke