Saturday, November 24, 2012

Galatians 5 in The Message has some verses that stuck out to me:

"Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life."

Let me share how these verses have played out in my life.

First, as many of you who follow this blog have read, I made that exploration about two summers ago. I knew God had given me the gift of communication through writing and speaking. I wondered if these gifts were the "who" I was to become and the work I had been given. I prayed that God would show me if it was in His will for me to pursue publication. I asked for a definite sign. He affirmed His call for me to write and be published.

Now that I had my answer, I began to sink myself into this calling. How? I bought and studied writing craft books. I took courses online. I sought advice and mentoring from other authors. I submitted articles and manuscripts for publication.

Now, when I did receive that first contract to publish THE BLESSING SEER, I was careful to not be impressed with myself. God had made it all too clear that it was His doing not mine.

Have I compared myself with others? Yes - big yes! I have always been an avid reader of Christian fiction. Now that I often interact with these authors and even review their books, I find myself wondering why I even try. I'll never be as good as so-and-so. But, God didn't make me to be someone else. He made Paula Mowery to be who I was created to be. No comparisons.

As I write, I feel a responsibility to give my best and even to improve. Only I can put my whole self into working out God's purpose in my life. No one else can fulfill what is mine to accomplish.

What about you? Have you made an exploration into who God made you to be and what work He has for you to do? If not, pray for God to show you. Talk with those who know you and might see the gifts God has put into you. Do a spiritual gift inventory.

If you know the gifts God has put into you and have a sense of His call, have you begun to sink yourself into it? Are there ways to hone your skills? Do you need to be more active?

From personal experience, let me encourage you to make the exploration and sink into it. You don't want to miss out on the adventure that God has in store for you.

Did these verses strike a chord with you? Share your experiences or insights in the comments.

2 comments:

Sally Apokedak said...

Great post. And I love the cover of your book. Very nice. Congratulations and good for you for obeying God's calling.

Brooksie said...

Awesome blog and so true. I'm bad to compare myself to others. What's worse, is that I always come up short (no pun intended).
I think I'm a dreamer who loves adventure. I didn't undrstand why God made me that way for a long time, but I can now see why He did. I just hope I can used it to glorify Him.