Saturday, January 13, 2018

Gotta Be Ready

Have you heard that verse quoted? You know the one about being ready in season or out of season, being ready to always give an answer as to where our hope comes from.

That message reached out and grabbed me this week at school.

The students were working on a community service project, making blankets for the animal shelter. They were sitting in small groups working and just chatting. I was reading, still available for my hard of hearing student, in the event she needed sign for communicating.


All of the sudden I hear them discussing religion and God. I sat up especially straight when one young man said, "Well, the way I see it, all the religions will eventually lead to God or heaven or whatever." Some of the others agreed or posed other questions. I was biting my tongue, feeling they would never think to ask my opinion.

Then the young man looked at me and said, "Mrs. Mowery, what do you think?"

My heart skipped a beat. My philosophy is that if a student asks me about religion or God or my spiritual life, I will answer. I don't force my opinion in and am not supposed to, but if I'm asked, then I go for it.

I heaved a deep breath and started with, "Now, I have an answer. But let me warn you that my husband is a pastor and I am a Christian." They urged me on with nods.

I proceeded right there in the middle of the computer classroom to tell them that not all religions and beliefs lead to heaven or God. I clearly stated that the Bible says that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and that no one can come to the Father except through Him. That means believing that He died for my sins, accepting Him, and living for Him.

One young lady said, "So, those other religions will mean those people go to hell?"

I had to chuckle under my breath. She didn't pull any punches.

I answered, "The only way that God made for us to go to heaven is through His Son which He provided out of His great love for us. Since that is the only way God says we can go to heaven then any other route won't lead there. So, yes, I believe that anyone who doesn't follow God's way will go to hell."

Heavy stuff for freshmen computer class that day. But I was just glad that they were searching and willing to hear what someone else said.

One of the young ladies was wearing a necklace with a cross on it. She stated some things about Jesus. I didn't get to ask her, but I think she actually mentioned going to church.

Oh my! If she is still that confused about God and eternity, I gotta get busy!

I want to give a warning that I have given to my couples Sunday school class: Don't assume because you bring your kids to church that they "get it." There's more to it. We as parents have to be more intentional about making sure our kids understand what they're hearing at church. We have to support it at home and live it out in front of them, so they'll know for sure what Jesus has done for them.

Though I'm a bit nervous, I hope for more opportunities to speak into these young lives. In just three more years, these young people will be venturing into the world to become the next leaders and parents. I want them to know the Truth.

Have you had an instance where God has nudged you into talking about your faith? When and where?

No comments: